(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Core, deseed and finely chop the peppers, peel and finely chop the onions, peel and core the apples and finely chop the flesh.
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and leave for 2min. Drain and skin the tomatoes, roughly chop the flesh.
- Place the peppers, onions, apples and tomatoes in a preserving pan. Add the vinegar and water, bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the apple is soft.
- Reduce the heat. Stir in the sugar and remaining ingredients and heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the relish is a thick pulpy consistency.
- Spoon into jars and cover at once with plastic vinegar proof tops