(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the cold water to the flour mixture. Initially use a knife and mix the water into the flour. Then use your hands to form a dough.
- When the dough is even and smooth cut off a third and set side for the pie top. Roll out the remaining pastry to cover the base of a 20cm pie plate. Trim the excess off the plate edge and add the the pie top pastry. Set aside.
- Quarter, core, peel and slice the apples about 5mm thick and tip them into a bowl and tumble in the sugar, cinnamon and flour and pile into the pastry lined pie plate. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/ Gas Mark 5.
- Roll the set aside pie top pastry. Moisten the edge of the pastry edge on the pie plate and place the pastry on top of the prepared apples. Press down on the pastry edges. Make sure the edges are well sealed.
- Prick the pie top lightly then brush with the egg white and sprinkle with Billington's Golden Caster Sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes until golden. For the best results allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.